After graduating from the School of Engineering at Rutgers University in 1896, William Louis Ayres, FAIA, worked at the noted architectural firm, McKim, Mead & White in New York City; he left in 1901 to join York & Sawyer. His work includes numerous bank buildings in New York and Washington, D.C., and the Department of Commerce building, completed in 1932, which was part of the Federal Triangle development project. Ayres served on the Federal Triangle Board of Architectural Consultants, was a trustee of the American Academy in Rome, and was elected to the National Institute of Arts and Letters. He also served as a juror for the Prix de Rome with William Mitchell Kendall and John Russell Pope in 1934.
CFA Service: 1921–1925