Mario Campioli

OGB Service: 1965–1971

Born in Italy, Mario Ettore Campioli, FAIA, earned a bachelor of architecture at New York University and joined the New York design firm Eggers & Higgins in 1940. He eventually served as the director of architecture at Colonial Williamsburg from 1949 to 1957, when he joined the Washington, D.C., architectural firm of DeWitt, Poor & Shelton, where he directed the West Front extension of the Capitol. In 1959, he became assistant Architect of the Capitol and director of architecture, a position he held until 1980, and served as architect in charge of the restoration of the original Senate and Supreme Court chambers.